Superfood Sunflower Seed Butter
As with most things in life, when I’m in a situation where I want or need something and I can’t get out of my house to get whatever ‘it’ is, I’m forced to dig deep and find a crafty solution to the problem I’m trying to solve.
I’m not talking about solving some complex math problem that would make my head hurt.
I’m talking about the fact that I was craving some green apple slices topped with sunflower seed butter and dusted with cinnamon a few weeks ago at night after the stores were closed and we were OUT of sunflower seed butter.
Oh my! Can you imagine the horror?!?
Yes, I’m just teasing about being horrified we ran out of sunflower seed butter.
And I’m deadly serious about finding a solution to that craving that just wouldn’t go away.
When I took a moment and looked around to find out what I had on hand in our kitchen, I came up with not only a delicious sunflower seed butter recipe… I came up with a Superfood Sunflower Seed Butter recipe that knocked my socks off. And it was boyfriend tested and wholeheartedly approved, so that made me happy too.
According to Wikipedia, here are some amazing nutritional facts about sunflower seeds:
In addition to providing linoleic acid (an essential fatty acid), sunflower seeds are also an excellent source of dietary fiber, some amino acids (especially tryptophan), vitamin E, several B vitamins (especially thiamine, pantothenic acid, and folic acid). Additionally, they are rich in cholesterol-lowering phytosterols. Furthermore, sunflower seeds boast a low glycemic index as well as high levels of protein and minerals including magnesium and copper.
So let’s get to making some creamy goodness to make your taste buds and your belly really, really happy. I hope you enjoy!
Superfood Sunflower Seed Butter
¼ cup local raw honey or coconut nectar
1 Tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
½ cup clean filtered/spring water (or more until desired consistency is reached)
1 Tablespoon gelatinized maca powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of Celtic sea or Himalayan pink salt
2 Tablespoons raw cacao nibs (optional)
**USE LOCAL, ORGANIC AND/OR WILD-CRAFTED INGREDIENTS, WHEN AVAILABLE.**
- Add all ingredients, except for the raw cacao nibs, to a food processor and process until smooth.*
- If a chocolaty crunch is desired, stir in the raw cacao nibs.
- Store in refrigerator for up to a week (if it lasts that long!).
- *This may take up to 3 minutes in the food processor to get to a smooth consistency. I like my homemade seed butter to be on the light and fluffy side, so I sometimes add up to 3/4 cup of clean filtered/spring water to get to that texture.
- You can feel free to get creative with your superfoods. Additions could include raw cacao powder, goji berries, lucuma, hemp seeds, etc. If you’re really brave, you could add in some green superfood powder and have yourself some Leprechaun Superfood Sunflower Seed Butter that packs a powerful nutritional punch.
- Serving suggestions could include spreading your Superfood Sunflower Seed Butter on toasted gluten-free bread or on slather some on some green apples, banana chunks or gently mix it with some berries and eat it by the spoonful.
I’d love to hear from you, too! What is your favorite way to enjoy this sunflower seed butter? Be sure to leave a comment below.
Did you find this post helpful? Click the share button below and help your friends and family enjoy this yummy recipe!
To your health and happiness…